Volunteering in Our Hospital
- Volunteer Requirements
- Steps to Become a Volunteer
- Open Volunteer Application Periods
- On-site Volunteer Opportunities
- Other Volunteer Opportunities
Applicants must be:
- 18 years of age to work directly with patients
- For those ages 15 to 17, please visit our Junior Volunteer Program.
- In good physical and mental health
- Able to communicate well in English and receive all instructions in English
From our volunteers, we require a minimum of:
- 100 hours over the course of one year
- A commitment of at least two shifts per month
- Most volunteers commit to a weekly shift: Monday-Friday between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and to be finished by 4:30 p.m.
- Volunteers commit to 3.5-4 hour shifts.
The steps you must complete to become a Volunteer are:
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di động to apply!
- Accepted Applicants: Interview with the Volunteer Department
Applicants must be willing to conduct an interview with Volunteer Resources staff.
Accepted Interviews: Attend the next 4-hour Volunteer / Patient Care Orientation
- Post-Orientation: Competency Test Completion
Applicants must complete all necessary hospital competency tests proving adherence to hospital safety policies and procedures. Competency tests address the following:
- Working/interacting with hospitalized patients
- Adherence to confidentiality policy
- Fire safety
Health Clearance Examination Through CHLA Employee Health Services Department
A health clearance is necessary before a volunteer can begin working with patients.
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di động Items generally required for clearance:
- Full immunization records
- 2 negative TB tests from within the past year. This may mean up to four visits to the Employee Health Services Department or in skin test-positive individuals, a written report of chest X-ray results taken within the previous year
- Drug and alcohol screening
- Please note: During flu season it is mandatory to either take the flu shot or formally decline it to CHLA Employee Health Services Department.
- Background Clearance Through Volunteer Resources
Receive a Start Date
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di động Receive CHLA volunteer ID, parking permit and purchase a volunteer uniform (CHLA apron) to begin volunteering. You will need to purchase and wear a uniform at a personal cost of $30. You will also be required to adhere to specific policies regarding volunteer work attire.
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di độngThis might seem like a lot, but we’re sure you can understand, CHLA takes our patient safety very seriously. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us by email. All initial onboarding goes through Volunteer Resources.
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di độngFor adult volunteer prospects (18 years of age and over), new applications may be submitted year-round or until capacity has been reached for the corresponding calendar year. Once your application has been reviewed and cleared, you will receive additional instructions to proceed with the volunteer screening process.
For Junior Volunteer Prospects (15-17 years of age), please visit our Junior Volunteer Program for more information.
Adult orientation dates are as follows:
If your application has been screened and cleared, you have 2 opportunities to attend an upcoming orientation session.
Junior Volunteer Program application period is as follows:
|JUNIOR APPLICATION PERIOD||ORIENTATION TO FOLLOW|
Visit our Junior Volunteer Program for more information.
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di độngCHLA requires all volunteers to complete 64 hours of Outpatient shifts to familiarize you with the hospital before serving in other areas of the hospital. The first 32 hours will be At Your Service (Escorting patients to hospital appointments) & the additional 32 hours served doing Mobile Play Carts (Playing with patients in waiting rooms). We do not offer evening or weekend opportunities for this required opportunity.
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di độngBefore you may volunteer in any of the Volunteer Opportunities listed below, you must first apply through our Volunteer Resources Department and complete the required 64 hours of outpatient shifts.
Many of our volunteers work directly with patients through a variety of opportunities such as:
- Child Life: Assisting in hospital playrooms and sometimes at the bedside
- Literally Healing: Volunteers assist patients, families, and staff in selecting free books from the Gifting Library, delivering books and reading to patients at the bedside.
- Mark Taper and Johnny Mercer Artists Program: assist in inpatient playrooms family lounges and sometimes at bedside
- NICCU/TLCC Cuddling: to increase comfort in children and their families through cuddling
- Rehabilitation Services: assist in the fields of physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech pathology
Phần mềm chống xóc đĩa trên điện thoại di độngVolunteering outside of our hospital is also an important way to help our patients.
You can start your own fundraising effort to involve your friends, family and community: